Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: may I pick your brains?

From: Nathan Howell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: may I pick your brains?
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:13:55 -0800

* C. R. Oldham <address@hidden> [2004-02-23 07:29]:

> 1. How can I insure that the hard work of my programmers is stored
> somewhere that we can retrieve it when the programmer leaves, is fired,
> or is hit by a bus?

> CVS in "bare bones" mode (no branching, no tagging) gives us about 70%
> of what we need--a way to make sure there is a central location for our
> version controlled code.  Anyone who commits to that location generates
> a changelog that gets emailed to all the developers.  We can browse that
> repo with ViewCVS, hit it with various tools (Tortoise, WinCVS) to help
> us understand what happened to our codebase over time.  But there is
> only one branch for us--that's HEAD.

> Now, being told that my programmers can easily branch and create offline
> copies of archives, littering their file storage area with lots of
> little archives kind of scares me.  To me, that means some pretty strict
> policies and procedures that cannot be enforced via technical means need
> to be put in place.

> This is one of the areas that is making it hard for me to understand how
> to apply Arch to our situation.

It seems to me that this could be pretty easily solved with an
semi-automated mirroring system. Simply have developers register their
personal archives on an internal web page (they shouldn't have many
personal archives anyway, so this shouldn't be a burden, right?). Once
an archive is registered, a pull-mirror is set up (by the script) on the
central server and kept up to date automatically. Is that reasonable?

Nathan