Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Low level vs. high level UI

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Low level vs. high level UI
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:05:12 -0800

On Feb 25, 2004, at 15:33, Pierce T.Wetter III wrote:

 Ok, so since you both used vi/vim, I'd have to say that tla is
not at that point yet.

First off, vi has levels of interface. When I first started learning vi, I
learned the following commands:

        [basic commands]

I think tla has this as well. *most* of the time, I do replay, log, and commit. (and I usually do a changes and tree-lint as part of my commit just because I like making sure I'm doing what I think I'm doing).

There's also add, I suppose, but if you use taglines, that's a bit less important. Some of my auto-fill templates in vim already add arch-tags, and I'm a \at away from having one in the templates that don't.

I think this goes back to the document describing the collection of basic commands. For most of my day-to-day tasks, it doesn't feel much different from the way I dealt with CVS. Importing is more complicated than adding, but you do it less frequently. Really uncommon things just have to be looked up, but there's enough stuff in the tla bin for me to find my way around.

So there was a ramp up in necessary knowledge. The great thing about vi to me is that it supports some powerful methods of combining simple commands into complex ones.

I still prefer a gui editor though. Arch seems more like emacs to me then vi, and I've never bothered to learn emacs despite its power because the amount of stuff I had to learn (and remember) to useful work was too large.

I don't think emacs is that different from vim, just a lot bigger. Emacs is very foreign to me, but I can usually do a M-x thing-i-want-to-do and it walks me through it. If I do something frequently enough, it's usually either bound to a key, or I can bind it to a key.

Same thing here. There were a couple of multi-step things I did frequently enough that I wrote a script to do them. I found myself wrapping ``:.!uuidgen'' in a comment for an arch-tag frequently enough that I wrote a couple of vim functions to do it.

--
Dustin Sallings