Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Feature request: dollar sign in file names...

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Feature request: dollar sign in file names...
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:32:46 -0500

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 18:29, Charles Duffy wrote:

> Oops.
>
> Right now I'm unable to commit to my archives (lost my gpg private key,
> haven't finished looking in all the places it might be recoverable from
> before generating a new one), but I'm putting that on my mental
> stufftofix list as soon as that's resolved.

For running commands in Python without going through a shell, you might
find this function I wrote for arch-pqm useful:

def popen_noshell(cmd, *args):
    (stdin, stdout) = os.pipe()
    pid = os.fork()
    if pid == 0:
        os.close(stdin)
        os.dup2(stdout, 1)
        os.dup2(stdout, 2)
        os.execvp(cmd, [cmd] + list(args))
        os.exit(1)
    os.close(stdout)
    output = os.fdopen(stdin).readlines()
    (pid, status) = os.waitpid(pid, 0)
    msg = ''
    if not (status is None or (os.WIFEXITED(status) and os.WEXITSTATUS(status)
== 0)):
        if os.WIFEXITED(status):
            msg = "%s exited with error code %d" % (cmd,
os.WEXITSTATUS(status),)
        elif os.WIFSTOPPED(status):
            msg = "%s stopped unexpectedly with signal %d" % (cmd,
os.WSTOPSIG(status),)
        elif os.WIFSIGNALED(status):
            msg = "%s died with signal %d" % (cmd, os.WTERMSIG(status),)
    return (status, msg, output)