Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: libraries / cacherevs

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: libraries / cacherevs
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 17:57:00 -0500

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 15:35, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Another problem I have with tla is that the full patch-log is always attached
> the tree.

I agree, it is a problem.  Not a severe one, but it's one we'll have to
address somehow eventually.  Revision libraries do take away the pain of
that space duplication if you have a number of trees checked out.

Right now the patch logs are slightly larger than all of the Rhythmbox
code:

address@hidden> du -sh .
     /tmp/rhythmbox--main--0.7--patch-132
16M     .
address@hidden> du -sh '{arch}'
     /tmp/rhythmbox--main--0.7--patch-132
8.2M    {arch}

One thing to notice is that patch log size increases dramatically the
more you do merges.  Rhythmbox has several people who are just
occasional contributors, and so they only tend to merge their branches
with the mainline every say 100-200 patches.  Merging from them
increases patch log size a lot, since each patch log from them has all
of the Patches applied: from the mainline in the contents.

This (along with the fact that tla doesn't have files like graphics
included) is probably why tla's ratio of source code size to patch log
size is much lower.

I don't see any major implementation barriers to having tla just include
a file like {arch}/+logs which is a simple list of patch logs applied,
and have it fetch the contents from the archive.  The only slight
inefficiency is that we retrieve all the patch log contents during a
'get' but throw that away.