Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 02:16:41 -0800

On Mar 10, 2004, at 2:22, Tom Lord wrote:

You have a perfectly viable option here of encouraging people you work
with not to choose names that differ only in case and/or gatewaying
their work.

In this case, I was one of several contributors to a project I can no longer contribute to because other contributors have chosen different names. I can't change the world.

I'm not always right about everything.   Far from it.   You haven't
convinced me yet, but maybe I'll turn out to be wrong on this issue.

I still haven't read anything regarding how this layout is correct other than backwards compatibility.

I do try to be direct about stating my opinions about some things.

I don't at all appreciate the innuendo of your words "this type of
response [....]"

Well, likewise, I don't appreciate being told to throw away my tools because one of them breaks when interoperating with another one. My tools are just fine for everything (else) I do.

As with all people who have given me money -- I very much appreciate
your contribution.   But it would be a betrayal of those people if I
were to give in to technical direction pressure based on that.

The _reason_ arch is good is, in large part, because I have resisted
bad ideas presented with enourmous social pressure behind them.   You
can help not only by giving money -- but also by choosing with more
care the means by which you attempt to persuade me.

I absolutely made no attempt to attempt to buy you. The entire point of that paragraph was to tell you how much arch means to me.

The difficult part here is that your first response was to tell me that you won't take case insensitive filesystems seriously. If I have a real problem that you won't take seriously, can you provide an approach that would get you to take it seriously? You don't seem to care about anyone who uses arch who isn't on a UFS or one of the Linux filesystems.

Why do you respond to that circumstance by attacking me?  By defaming
me?

I didn't think I attacked you. But I was taken aback by the first response I got from you telling me you don't take these kinds of problems seriously.

I have the impression now that you want to leverage my poverty and
gratitude towards you into finding the least-effort solution for your
immediate problem -- but without much concern for whether that
solution improves or degrades arch, and without much concern for the
impact of the changes you propose on the use of available labor or on
other users.

Wow, that is a long list of bad guesses. I'm not sure how to respond to this at all. I certainly don't want to make up my own guesses. I've made no suggestion that would degrade arch (unless you can tell me how) and I've made no suggestions on who should actually apply the changes.

        I pointed out what I believe to be a flaw.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>