Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:28:37 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>

    >   We're talking about category and branch names belonging to individual
    > archives and colliding during collaboration, though.

Right.   And, that _is_ the insightful way to look at it that suggests
(but does not compel) the conclusion that this an issue to address
within arch.   You're hitting me where I live there.

That's why, for example, I'm open to things like the ci-lint
suggestion.

However: re-ordering the patch-log tree order (for example) is:

(a) fairly massively disruptive for users who don't care a whit
    about this issue.

(b) not a complete solution by any means nor a progressive step
    towards a complete solution

(c) based on the premise that a set of folks cooperating on an
    arch-managed project and wanting that project to be ci-safe
    are, nevertheless, somehow unable to enforce among themselves
    a convention of not using ci-colliding names.

In other words, a disruptive non-solution to a non-problem.

arch does, in several areas, need to confront the general issue of the
various filesystem namespaces in the world.   It's a difficult,
intricate issue -- and the particular suggestion you've been
advocating for doesn't have a lot going for it.