Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Efficiently find out if <file> is source or not

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Efficiently find out if <file> is source or not
Date: 14 Mar 2004 22:30:37 -0500

> The closest thing to hope, for K.I.S.S. fans, is that `inventory'
> eventually gets factored out and takes its place in some abstract
> pantheon alongside `find' as a fundamental way to look at a big tree.

Note that I don't really mind running `tla inventory'.
Ideally, I'd like to find the answer even when tla is not installed, but
I understand it's unlikely to happen any time soon.  But what I really need
is an efficient way to get the answer, with or without tla.
Right now, even with tla I can't get the answer without potentially
traversing the whole tree, even though I only want to know the sourceness
status of one file.

I.e. I just need to be able to say something like

   tla inventory --source <file>

rather than

   tla inventory --source `dirname <file>` | grep <file>

-- Stefan