Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Equivalent of CVS $Log$ and $Id$

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Equivalent of CVS $Log$ and $Id$
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:25:48 -0800

On Mar 16, 2004, at 22:59, Matthieu Moy wrote:

Is there a way to make  arch automatically update some keywords in the
source when updating/committing, like CVS does with $Log$ and $Id$ for
example ?

I've had a lot of problems with that with merging in CVS. It's best to just do that in the revision control system, but in the build.

I put this script in a few of my projects and put the output in my builds:

#!/bin/sh

# Start with the latest patch
base=`tla logs -f | tail -1`

# Find out how many changes there are that are not build number changes
changes=""
changen=`tla changes | egrep -v "^\*|etc/build.number" | wc -l`

# Figure out if we have uncommitted changes
if [ $changen -gt 0 ]
then
        changes=" (plus uncommited changes)"
fi
echo "$base$changes"

        -- for example:

dustinti:~/prog/spyjar 111% java -jar spy.jar
spy.jar build 412 on Tue Mar 16 23:19:00 PST 2004
Build platform: java 1.4.2_03 from Apple Computer, Inc. on Mac OS X version 10.3.3
Tree version:  address@hidden/spyjar--head--1.0--patch-10

That's all of the information required to completely reconstruct that build. Individual file information won't help.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>