Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Pipes?

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Pipes?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:20:24 +0100

Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:

>     > > What's wrong with
>
>     > >       tla tree-lint -m | xargs tla delete

[...]

> If you're  into this  sort of thing,  I think  it would make  a very
> pleasant afternoon's exercise to:

[...]

>       4) write xxargs which can do unescaping for you

How about adding  an equivalent of GNU find's  -print0 to tla commands
outputing filenames  ? (This  separates filenames by  '\0' characters,
which are not allowed in filenames).

Like you can do

find . -print0 | xargs -0 ls

you could do

tla tree-lint --print0 | xargs -0 tla delete

This  seems  to  be  the  simplest  solution.  (Ah,  it  requires  GNU
xargs :-( ...)

Note that

tla tree-lint | tr '\n' '\0' | xargs -0 tla delete

should  work already  if you  have no  carriage returns  in filenames.
(Which is anyway not recommended !!)

--
Matthieu