Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Minor quibbles

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Minor quibbles
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:20:52 -0500

Pierce T.Wetter III wrote:

 Well, having move-id didn't make sense, because move does that...

move is an alias, though. move-id is the true name of the command. You can more convincingly say "having move doesn't make sense, because move-id does that..."

I haven't looked at older verions of Arch, but I suspect move was the original name, and move-id was invented to clarify its purpose.

Personally, I'm for getting rid of move as well. In fact, ignoring previous history:

 mv   (both moves the file, and moves the id)
 mv-id  (just moves the id)
 mv --id  (just moves the id, note the space, this is an "option" to mv)
 mv -id   (just moves the id, note the space, this is an "option" to mv)

The -id option violates tla's syntax standards, and I very much doubt it would be accepted. I don't understand the motivation for having mv-id and mv --id forms, but it wouldn't bother me that way.

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology