Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Pipes?

From: mlh
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Pipes?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:31:39 +1100

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 04:22:38PM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
>     > Are zero terminated paths inherently incompatible with
>     > hackerlab escaping?
>
> No, they're just a dumb idea.   Not ever data type enjoys the "no null
> characters" benefit of unix filenames.

Many people think that strings should not be terminated at all,
but should come with the length prepended.  Which is how they're
implemented in most newer languages now if I'm not mistaken.

Quoting can be bad because you need to know what you're getting
in order to know how much unquoting you need to do.

I'll have a look at your escaping stuff.

Matt