Re: [Gnu-arch-users] ANNOUNCE: Spaces in filenames, finished

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] ANNOUNCE: Spaces in filenames, finished
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:51:36 +0100

address@hidden writes:

>> Would any other rare character be better for this purpose? Some
>> candidates are ':', ';', '?', '%', '#', '^', '*'. All characters
>> probably have one or another problem, but IMHO the problem with
>> backslash is inherently higher. One more thing to think about is this
>> proprietary OS uses backslash as the directory delimiter.
>
> If '\' is the escape character and the tla uses it on some interface
> seen by other tools, the tools need to be aware of escaping.

If 'a' is the escape character and the tla uses it on some interface
seen by other tools, the tools need *not* to be aware of escaping.

If 'b' is the escape character and the tla uses it on some interface
seen by other tools, the tools need *not* to be aware of escaping.

We could also imagine using uuencode or something similar.

> Do u see any difference?

Yes ;-)

[ but  my solution is  to avoid spaces  in filenames, so I  don't mind
  actually ;-) ]

--
Matthieu