Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Trying out the new escaping version...

From: chth
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Trying out the new escaping version...
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:11:00 +0100

> Ugh.
>
> Please do not have commands expand their command line arguments.
> Expansion is the job of whatever program _constructs_ the argv array,
> not main().

So just cancel what I tried with the versionfix-1 (was a proof of
concept anyways), i will undo that, people have to use --unescaped (or
--escaped if we reverse the logic) and we all will be happy, except for
the people who complained about the need of adding --unescaped to 'tla
tree-lint -t'.

btw: the example from Pierce T.Wetter III with the scary solutions
should simply work with my very first version:

tla tree-lint -t --unescaped | while read line; do tla add "$line"; done

as long the filenames by itself don't contain any characters which
confuse the shell.

        Christian