Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Trying out the new escaping version...

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Trying out the new escaping version...
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:07:02 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Jan Hudec <address@hidden>

    > > [....] It's a tricky issue that will take a while to resolve.
    > > It's this broader issue that has so far stopped me from
    > > liberalizing arch's naming conventions (as encoded in
    > > `inventory') to permit non-ascii characters in filenames.
    > > It's easy to make that liberalization but I only want to make
    > > it once I'm confident that I won't be shooting myself in the
    > > foot, down the road, as more complete Unicode support comes
    > > on-line.

    > I am aware of these problems. That's why I bring it up -- it has to get
    > a lot of talking before it can be implemented the right way.

:-)  And, I'm aware that you're aware.   I'm mostly just reinforcing
what you said and hopefully adding some additional perspective.

    > For tar, arch can fix names after tar unpacks them and can rename files
    > that are due for tar to pack. Perhaps filenames in tarballs (perhaps
    > even in library, pristines and temporaries) could be quoted. And only
    > renamed in the working directory.

Tar is simplistic enough (in our use of it) that I don't want to think
of it as _too_ much of a constraint.  E.g., should we need new
functionality from it, reimplementing or forking are tractable
options --- we just want to make sure that for simple filenames,
vanilla tar continues to work fine.