[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Cascading patchlogs with star-merge

From: Stig Brautaset
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Cascading patchlogs with star-merge
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 18:21:34 +0000

Hi Russell,

On Mar 22 2004, Russell wrote:
>   Commit patch-N in archive 1
>   star-merge from archive 1 into archive 2, then commit, creating patch-M
> there
>   star-merge from archive 2 into archive 1, commit creating patch-N+1 there
>   star-merge from archive 1 into archive 2, creating patch-M+1
>   ... etc
>
> This can go on forever, and the only things getting added to the working
> copies each time are patch logs.
> How do people handle this in practice?

Personally, I like to do merges manually.

I must admit I don't really understand why you want to automate this,
but one way to do it, I guess, is to add a magic header to the patchlog
when you do a star merge ("X-star-merge: REVISION" for example). Then,
if there is only one patch missing from the other branch you test
whether the magic header is present. If it is, you know that the
changeset will bring in only patchlogs and skip the merge.

Or something like that.

Stig
--
brautaset.org