Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:17:11 -0500

Mikhael Goikhman wrote:

I guess that means that personally, if I had to choose, I'd pick v2-only
rather than v2-or-whatever.

If you substitute v2-or-whatever with a more appropriate v2-or-any-fixed-
version-of-it, then it is not so clear what is wiser. For one, like me,
who does not want to even understand any legal problems, just wants to
freely write and merge any GPL'd code and documentation, the blessed
wording is the way to go.

No matter how much we trust the FSF, later versions of the GPL may have flaws that we consider unacceptable, whether by accident or intent. See the current XFree86 fiasco for an example of a license update that many consider a disimprovement. If you care about how your work is used, it is far smarter to license your work under a real, existing license.

Note, that this issue is not purely theoretical for me, I actually wanted
to use tips from the Wiki in the documentation of my current projects.

Unfortunately, that train has sailed. You cannot distribute works whose license is GPL 2 under 2+. You can: 1. license those parts of the docs that are derived from the wiki under GPL 2
2. get the authors to re-license their works as GPL 2+.

You may, however, use my contributions to the wiki under the GPL 2 or any later version, because I *don't* care how they're used.

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology