Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New feature at the mirror + request for help

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New feature at the mirror + request for help
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 01:50:36 -0500

>     > This definitely works as an archive registry.
>
> It's going to be even sweeter when this stuff starts to get worked
> into `grab'.

My gut reaction is "Hell ya!". I think, though, that we'd have to really
this ramifications of doing this. This takes us straight to "centralized
authorithy". Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Give me just a moment... (putting on a nice suit to play devil's advocate)

I could then dictate which archives are "grabbable" and which are not. For
example, let's hypothesize that somebody, even temporarily, created a fork
of tla that caused incompatible archives. My natural response to this
would be to remove the archive from the supermirror.

Maybe that's fine, and maybe that's not. What if I decide to make some
sort of jba (James Blackwell's arch), which can read tla archives, but
makes archives that tla can't read. I now certainly have the power to
encourage my jba fork over tla-like forks, and might even have some
leverage against the official tla.

Ok. Maybe that's a bit of a reach. But how sure are you that I wouldn't
refuse to mirror (which is how that registry is built) somebody's archive
just because I don't like them? Sure, I'd like to *think* that I'm not so
petty... but what if it were somebody really nasty. For example, what if
somebody nasty came along... say the infamous Darl McBride... as far as
anybody knows, I might consider giving him the black sheep treatment.

(takes suit off)

What actually makes more sense to me is me putting up a php script that
lets people design a grab file that is served from sc or ga.o. That way
they can specify configs, etc. Before we do that, probably there should be
some sort of discussion about the namespace.

Also, I kind of promised lifeless that I'd endorse the removal of grab
once config-manager was ready. I think that point has gotten pretty close.
He says that its not quite ready to supercede grab yet, but he's already
worked out the one remaining thing before grab should be killed off.

>> No, I still don't have an arch browser yet. All of them seem to have an
>> achilles heel -- they either require a revision library or require building
>> a cache. While I haven't tried anything that requires building a cache, I
>> can tell you that building a library of all archives is basically already
>> too big a job for SC.
>> Does anybody have a php based archive browser that requires building
>> neither a library nor a cache?
> I don't think a cache should scare you off in principle.   On the
> other hand, it should be a really well implemented cache both in terms
> of its impact on you as admin and its smoothness in integration into
> the code.

For the sake of argument, lets say that building a cache at least involves
finding every file in the tree. Today, that takes (cold):

address@hidden:/var/www/mirrors/pub$ time find . -type f | wc -l
119897

real    1m36.914s
user    0m0.295s
sys     0m2.323s

By the time the supermirror is maxed out with about 2,000 archives, a find
operation on the tree will take about 20 minutes to run and will bog
down any other operation that is occuring at the same time. In all
fairness, I suppose a cache building operation could be done only once a
day....

--
James Blackwell      Using I.T. to bring more             570-407-0488
Owner, Inframix      business to your business     http://inframix.com