Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:09:12 +0000

On 23 Mar 2004 16:25:06 +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 12:17:11PM -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> > >Note, that this issue is not purely theoretical for me, I actually wanted
> > >to use tips from the Wiki in the documentation of my current projects.
> >
> > Unfortunately, that train has sailed.  You cannot distribute works whose
> > license is GPL 2 under 2+.
>
> Who started that nonsense? There is no problem with including v2-only
> stuff in a v2-or-later project. If you want to convert to a later
> version, you have to drop the v2-only parts, that's all.

This is foolish (include some parts just so they may be removed later),
and can't work in practice. Mixing two code bases results in the "GPL
v2-only" work. Several such mixes from different sources during years
ensure, the resulting program can't be converted to a later GPL version
without rewriting the whole program from scratch.

I have no problem that some ambitious Debian proponents use this list for
anti-FSF propaganda. But they should at least display courage and say the
truth, their methods effectivelly divide the free software community.

And GFDL is off topic here, since we are not book publishers. We have no
good reason to use this license, it is obviously less free than GPL.

Regards,
Mikhael.