Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New feature at the mirror + request for help

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New feature at the mirror + request for help
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 01:57:25 +0000

On 23 Mar 2004 00:36:31 -0500, James Blackwell wrote:

> Ok. I hope this one gets more attention. Now, at
> http://sourcecontrol.net/stats/archivestats.html, you can click on the
> archive name and get a list of the categories, branches and versions that
> are present.

I like this page.

Would it be a performance problem to additionally provide some numbers on
branch versions, updated once per day? This may include size, number of
revisions and last modified time. Just an idea.

> As a side note, on the search page it sends you to, you can search for
> anything you like. For example, I just performed two searches. First, I
> searched for "linux", and saw several archives that have linux in it.
> Then, I decided to hone it down a bit by typing "dil.*linux" to just get
> dillinger's linuxes.

The search form is useful. Adding thisform to the stats/archivestats.html
page directly may probably help.

> No, I still don't have an arch browser yet. All of them seem to have an
> achilles heel -- they either require a revision library or require building
> a cache.

I believe that the best solution is the smart library, the one that keeps
the recently accessed revisions and removes the less requested ones.
Smart cache is a very good solution too, it is easier to implement and
it is faster, however it may require more disk space.

I planned to have both of these smart configurable features in ArchZoom
after most of the non-smart features are in place. It may take several
weeks, depending on the number of contributors. :)

Regards,
Mikhael.