Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:35:02 +0000

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 07:10:54PM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:

>     > From: Matthew Dempsky <address@hidden>
>
>     > Mikhael Goikhman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>     > > And GFDL is off topic here, since we are not book publishers. We have
> no
>     > > good reason to use this license, it is obviously less free than GPL.
>
>     > "Ignoring all evidence to the contrary, our hypothesis holds true."
>
>     > I wish I could have gotten away with that when I took Statistics in
>     > high school; things would have been so much simpler.
>

> Um.... hmmm.
>
> Asuffield and others have posted trying to call the FSF on some kind
> of alleged hypocracy about the meaning of "free".
>
> Well, maybe..... but not likely.
>
> The FSF has never tried to define "free" in some general sense.  They
> (and RMS) are pretty narrowly focused.  They have a very nuanced
> assesment of the meaning of "free" and the cliched account of the
> "Debian position" is that Debian has a very blunt and somewhat idiotic
> conception.

It's quite simple, really. RMS has stated that (a) the GFDL is not a
"free software" license, and (b) it is not meant to be, but he has
ignored questions as to what "free" means in its name, or what
constitutes a "free documentation" license (while the FSF's definition
of "free software" is quite clear and agreeable).

We don't know what he's thinking, because he refuses to talk about
it. But we're pretty sure that we're only interested in "free
software", and not this other "free" stuff, and we can conclude that
when he says "free" he doesn't always mean "free software". So now we
have to be careful.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |