Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:08:20 -0500

Andrew Suffield wrote:
On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 10:53:48PM -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:

I don't think it's impossible for a license to be crafted that technically met the DSFG criteria, but didn't reflect the spirit of Free Software.

Speaking as one of the people who regularly makes the determination of
whether a license meets the DFSG, I do. Also see
http://people.debian.org/~asuffield/wrong/dfsg_guidelines which
partially deals with this; "technically met the DSFG criteria"
indicates a misunderstanding of how the DFSG is applied. You are
thinking of the OSD, again.

Would you make your decisions any differently if you were using the OSD instead of the DFSG?

I don't think FSF rejection of a DFSG-free license is at all likely, it's just that "impossible" is too strong a word. For instance, there is a very remote possibility that I am really an octopus.

That's not what I'm saying, though. I'm saying if a license fails to meet the DFSG, it must also fail to meet the OSD.

This is empirically incorrect. There have been licenses which OSI have
officially approved as meeting the OSD which were rejected by Debian
for not meeting the DFSG. I already said that once. I don't know where
you got this idea from.

Alright, but I still say these stem from differences in interpretation of the OSD and DFSG, not differences between the OSD and DFSG.

Anyhow, I don't see the GFDL on the OSI-approved list, do you?

http://opensource.org/licenses/

Aaron