Re: [Gnu-arch-users] subversion vs. cvs (vs. arch) over on pgsql-hackers

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] subversion vs. cvs (vs. arch) over on pgsql-hackers
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:51:15 -0700

On Mar 25, 2004, at 5:28 PM, James Blackwell wrote:

        * Decentralized revision control makes things harder.

        There was also my argument that distributed systems support
centralized development, but not vice-versa to which someone responded
``that is what svk does.''  I'm not at all familiar with svk, but it
describes itself thusly:

Though you don't hear about it much, centralized support is built right
into arch. Just have everybody commit to the same archive. Everything
will just work.

I use this when working with people on web-based projects. Because of
the nature of the beast, web based projects demand centralized
development. Arch works absolutely *great*.

Yeah, I kind of think arch would be easier to grok if the documentation was broken into these pieces:

  Chapter 1: Centralized Development with Arch

     Basically, how to use arch instead of cvs

  Chapter 2: Branching with Arch

     How to branch well.

  Chapter 3: Decentralizing your development

How to use arch with some typical development use cases that show the power of "unblessed" repositories, like laptop development, distributed
     development, local branches of large projects.

I think people who are attracted to arch are more interested in chapter 2 and 3 then chapter 1, but its still better to split up the docs that way, because chapter 1 will be much shorter and simpler then. For instance, with a central repository, you don't really have to understand what archives are because all that address@hidden stuff is just "stuff you have to type once" in the same way that you might type:

setenv CVS_RSH `which ssh`
cvs -d :ext:address@hidden:/Repository checkout Projects

 once, but after that its all "cvs update" and "cvs commit".

Chapter 2 could then go more into the nuts and bolts as far as specifying branches and such. So that's CVS plus good branching, and how to use the star-merge command.

 Then Chapter 3

This can explain more complicated stuff like set-tree-version, mirroring archives.

 Pierce