Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Describing archives (new feature at the mirror)

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Describing archives (new feature at the mirror)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 17:47:55 -0500

> Unfortunately there are two kinds of people -- some don't want to get
> the messages twice and some do. And it virtualy impossible to remember
> whom to send it and whom not.

That, we're agreed on. I don't think anybody claims that one view is
"right" or one view is "wrong". I'm just stating a personal request
because I receive a lot of personal mail from people that are on the
list. It drives me crazy sorting out which mails are list traffic and
which ones are personal requests (which I hold in higher regard).

My personal view on the matter is that when I subscribe to a mailing
list, I want the mailing list posts *on the mailing lists*. If I wanted
a copy of the mailing list in my inbox, I wouldn't have turned off
delivery for this account!

I'm also the sort of person that, when a discussion starts heating up
into an argument, likes to take things off list. That's *tough* to do
when a disagreement turns into an all out fight and I'm stuck in the
middle of a carbon-copy storm as two people fight out an issue that I
never cared much about in the first place.

> So there has to be something in each message that signifies sender's
> preferences. Most mailers seem to honor Mail-Followup-To as a sign, that
> the sender should not be Cc'ed. So setting Mail-Followup-To if you do
> NOT want to get Cc's seems the best way to go.

Yeah, there's headers. The problem (for me) is that slrn has a amazingly
braindead mailer that doesn't automatically set up headers. In all
fairness, I never dug into it.

--
James Blackwell          Please do not send me carbon copies of mailing
Smile more!              list posts. Such mail is unsolicited. Thank you!