Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --fix]
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:17:13 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Juliusz Chroboczek <address@hidden>

    > TL> Depends what you're doing.  You have room for 13 copies of that tree
    > TL> on your laptop.   Arch can keep you quite happy within that
    > TL> constraint.

    > Except that, with the tree checked out and compiled, the laptop had
    > exactly 0 free space.

Wow.  Well, that is quite the constraint.  It would be a simple matter
to write a server that would let you use arch in something more like
"remote CVS mode" --- let you sync your working dir to a server-side
working dir or vice versa; let you run some arch commands server-side.

    > TL> For simple hack/commit usage, you can by with just 2 copies (3
    > TL> transiently)
    >
    > In my case, that's 1 GB instead of 300 MB, right?
    >
    > Partial solutions to the problem:
    >
    >   - a ``tla export'' that doesn't require any extra space;
    >   - the ability to do ``tla get'' and ``tla export'' on a subtree;
    >   - the ability to do ``tla commit'' when you've only got a subtree.
    >
    > Not an urgent request, though, I'm pretty happy with arch as it stands.

Yeah.  You're talking about such a severe space constraint that I
doubt core tla will ever address it.   But a couple-K LOC would
implement a server that would let you work in CVS mode.