Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Managing changes to projects that use autoconf/auto

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Managing changes to projects that use autoconf/automake with tla
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 19:59:33 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>

    > BTW, I've always wanted to ask this: why is the build-dir name you always
    > recommend `=build' instead of `+build' (thus requiring a special case in
    > =tagging-method)...?

Old habit that predates arch inventory.  Nothing more.

    > > I still want to say "don't use auto*" but, of course, that's not
    > > always an option.

    > Yeah, but what other option is there?  Sure the auto* tools suck big time
--
    > it's just that everything else sucks[*] more...

    > [*] though the method of sucking may differ

Yeah.  It's an instance of a problem area where R&D bucks are needed
but not forthcoming .... not even any place you can ask for them
(other than busking, ala arch).

Insert here a bitter rant about how certain vendors don't really give
a crap about things they ought to :-)