Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Documentation?

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Documentation?
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 12:49:12 -0500

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 08:10, Martin Olsen wrote:
> What i'm really a bit fussy about, is this whole changeset concept. Is a
> changeset no more than a patch that you run locally?

Pretty much. An arch changeset is basically a patchdir created by tla
makepatch (and has more data than a regular patch -- it's not limited to
a single file; can include moves/renames/permissions changes and the
like) containing a patchlog. If a specific revision of a tree has that
patchlog, this indicates that the changeset has been applied to that
version of the tree already (and need not be reapplied by a
history-sensitive merge).

>  If so, how are dependencies among different patch'es calculated

They can't be, programmatically, as logical changes to a program often
depend on each other even if they touch completely different  portions
of the code.

> How are a changeset distributed to other users?

Merge operators (replay, update, star-merge) pull changesets.

> Also I haven't really grasped the starmerge thing.

For those who don't fully understand it (myself among them), it's easily
thought of a "Do The Right Thing" merge operator.