[Gnu-arch-users] Best way to handle « large  » binary files

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Best way to handle « large  » binary files
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 08:43:14 +0200

Hi !

In  the same project,  I have  ASCII source  files, for  which history
management works  perfectly, and  a 300k binary  file. (still  not too
big, but  my question is general,  so you can do  as if it  were a 3MB
file instead)

I'm using  Arch for  multiple sites development,  so I have  to commit
this binary file quite often, which adds around 150K to the archive.

After a few days working on this file, the archive becomes rather big,
just because of this file.

I would like  to tell Arch « OK  : Keep this file in  the archive, but
forget about revision patch-1,  patch-2, patch-3, patch-5 and patch-6.
Only base-0, patch-4 and patch-7 are important now ».

I'm affraid I can't do that on a single file with Arch.

Probably with a one-file archive, with a snapshot branch doing tags to
the main  branch from time  to time, and  fast archive cycling  on the
main branch, this would do it.

What's the best solution ?

Thanks,

[ Note :  This is a non-blocking  problem, but I like to  use the best
  solution  for a  problem.  I'll  describe it  in  the arch  reciepes
  section of the wiki when I've found it.]

--
Matthieu