[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Common merge request format

From: Robin Green
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Common merge request format
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 19:17:58 +0100

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 11:36:20PM -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Robin Green wrote:
> >OK, I'd like to formalise this. I'm now thinking not one line, but
> >something
> >of the form:
> >
> >--- begin tla merge request ---
> ># comments can go anywhere - although one would hope that the log messages
> ># would sufficiently describe the change for review purposes.
> >From-Archive-Name:       address@hidden  # this is another comment
> >From-Archive-Location:   http://bogus.example.com/foo
> >From-Revision:           tla--me--2.0--patch256
> >From-Gpg-Key:            http://bogus.example.com/gpg-keys/me.gpg
> >From-Gpg-Key:            http://bogus.example.com/gpg-keys/my-friend.gpg
> >To-Archive-Name:         address@hidden
> >To-Archive-Location:     http://bogus.example.com/tla
> >To-Revision:             tla--devo--2.0
> >
> ># multiple requests can be specifed; if the destination is omitted,
> ># it is assumed to be the same destination as the previous request.
> >--- end tla merge request ---
> >
> >in which the begin and end lines are required and spaces, comments are
> >ignored.
> >
> >Have I missed anything?
>
> Possibly. apply-delta can be used for merging, but it's best supported
> with a format like this:
> From-Revisions: address@hidden/tla--devo--1.3--patch-1 -
>   address@hidden/tlasrc--backbuild--1--patch-26

Ah, OK, you want to specify a range. But couldn't you just specify
the end of the range and do a star-merge?
Or would that be undesirable for efficiency reasons?

> That makes the From-Archive-Name redundant, but not the
> From-Archive-Location.  However, archives contain the archive name, so
> you don't technically need to include it.

OK. But you do if you're mentioning multiple From archives in the same
request, as you just did :)

> You may also want to define what happens when archive locations differ
> from what the merging person already has registered.  I'd suggest
> defaulting to the registered value.

For the To archive, yes. For a From archive, the archive might have moved,
so I think I'll ask the user whether to use the new location or the old
one.

But that's for later. I'll defer writing a review-merge script until I've
got a clearer idea of what I or others want from it.
--
Robin