[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Common merge request format

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Common merge request format
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 14:34:19 -0400

Robin Green wrote:
On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 11:36:20PM -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:

Robin Green wrote:

OK, I'd like to formalise this. I'm now thinking not one line, but something
of the form:

--- begin tla merge request ---
# comments can go anywhere - although one would hope that the log messages
# would sufficiently describe the change for review purposes.
From-Archive-Name:       address@hidden  # this is another comment
From-Archive-Location:   http://bogus.example.com/foo
From-Revision:           tla--me--2.0--patch256
From-Gpg-Key:            http://bogus.example.com/gpg-keys/me.gpg
From-Gpg-Key:            http://bogus.example.com/gpg-keys/my-friend.gpg
To-Archive-Name:         address@hidden
To-Archive-Location:     http://bogus.example.com/tla
To-Revision:             tla--devo--2.0

# multiple requests can be specifed; if the destination is omitted,
# it is assumed to be the same destination as the previous request.
--- end tla merge request ---

in which the begin and end lines are required and spaces, comments are ignored.

Have I missed anything?

Possibly. apply-delta can be used for merging, but it's best supported with a format like this:
From-Revisions: address@hidden/tla--devo--1.3--patch-1 -
 address@hidden/tlasrc--backbuild--1--patch-26

Ah, OK, you want to specify a range. But couldn't you just specify
the end of the range and do a star-merge?
Or would that be undesirable for efficiency reasons?

You'd use delta instead of star-merge when you wanted to omit somthing, or when the common ancestor isn't obvious.

That makes the From-Archive-Name redundant, but not the From-Archive-Location. However, archives contain the archive name, so you don't technically need to include it.

OK. But you do if you're mentioning multiple From archives in the same
request, as you just did :)

Well, you can just ask the archives what their names are. But you might want to do archive names as a location/name pair instead.

Aaron