Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Public Arch servers

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Public Arch servers
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 01:03:45 -0400

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 01:46:50PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>     Miles> and personally I'm _really_ tired of snide digs against the
>     Miles> U.S.,
>
> What snide dig?  All he implied was that he comes from a social class
> where people accumulate credentials, and are proud of them.  It's a
> harmless hobby ;-), but as he also implied, that hobby is without
> question less prevalent in the U.S. than some other countries.

The post I was complaining about just quoted the word `education' (and
implied that people in the U.S. valued it less); it seems reasonable to think
that he was referring to the more substantial benefits of education as well
as mere `credentials'.  [Anyway, it was clearly _meant_ as a snide dig.]

[I hear what you're saying about Japan's focus on credentials though --
when I had my interview for my current job, I got the strong impression
they had already decided to hire me, and didn't really have much to go on
besides an Nth-hand recommendation and my college diploma (and they kept
mentioning the latter...).]

-Miles
--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff