Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: <<< conflict markers

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: <<< conflict markers
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:18:43 +0200

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 17:10:34 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> One exception: `update' could very well use diff3.
> > It currently does not keep a copy handy, so it's not _that_ simple.
>
> Well, I don't know much about internals, so I'm only speaking from
> the point of view of the functionality.
>
> >> But it would have the same effect as `tla star-merge --three-way', so it
> >> would be a bit redundant.
> > But star-merge is far less efficient for this.
>
> Sounds like a good reason to improve star-merge's performance ;-).

star-merge is principialy less efficient. Star-merge must build the
ancestor and mine versions always, because of it's generality.
replay/update only need them if a conflict occurs (update always builds
ancestor, replay does not build anything) and thus can be faster in the
common case.

> >> I wish there was a tool that would do the guessing and turn the .rej
> >> into conflict markers.  Can't be done reliably in general, but it
> > There is: wiggle
>
> Ha!  Way cool!  Thanks!
>

>         Stefan

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec