Re: [Gnu-arch-users] further tla/win32 progress

From: Johannes Berg
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] further tla/win32 progress
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:59:41 +0200

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 19:44, Alejandro Mery wrote:
> cmd.exe, quotes fixed it.

Weird. I would have thought with cmd.exe you wouldn't need to quote
backslashes.

> it's odd... at home it was ignored, here (at work) it worked.

odd. if you can make any differences between the setups...?

> it couldn't :(
> i moved the tree to a junk folder and forget about it.
> it screams 'file not found' when i try to enter or delete some
> directories inside ++pristine.

Yes, thats because of the stupid windows 260 character pathname
limitation. The easiest way to get rid of it is to successively rename
everything from '++pristine-trees' or so to 'a' and then you end up with
a/a/a/a/a/a which is short enough to be visible in explorer ;)
of course that only works when you want to delete all that.

> just because i'm curious, is it using some weird ntfs internals which
> can make unsafe to delete stuff?

No, but you're unable to delete that stuff because of that limitation.
TLA works around that limitation by using special API tricks.

johannes