Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Emgergency release of tla-1.2.1pre1

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Emgergency release of tla-1.2.1pre1
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:21:59 -0400

Tom Lord wrote:

    > It would be  better to copy only `n - 1' real characters in the case of an
    > overflow, so that the final `\0' makes `n'.

That just shifts around the bugs and resulting exploits.  There is no
such thing as safe, easy-to-use, non-allocating string-algebra
primitives.

The current interface is a surprising one, as noted in the warning. People like me don't read the inline hackerlab docs to find these things out. I'd rather have hackerlab as POSIX-with-all-the-warts than have to look up every function because it may differ from POSIX.

Aaron