[Gnu-arch-users] Registered and official names

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Registered and official names
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:34:59 -0400

Archives have One True Name, stored in their meta-info. But you can register them using any arbitrary name. We do this so that we can register two copies of an archive; the true location and a mirror.

The question: is what commands should accept registered names? Tom's suggested that tla commit foo-SOURCE/bar should work. That implies other write commands like archive-setup, tag and import should also work.

What about using registered names for the read side? Currently, "tla tag foo-MIRROR/version foo/version" succeeds, but will do the wrong thing, writing the registered name to the CONTINUATION file and logs. Also, it erronously caches a revision.

Personally, I'm not thrilled that we need two names for archives, but I don't see an alternative. However, if we had read caching, we wouldn't need local mirrors. That would reduce the need to write to registered names, and we could just mandate the use of official names everywhere (except archive-mirror). We'd lose the potentially-useful "tla tag foo-SOURCE ...", but it's probably not that useful anyhow, or someone would have fixed it.

Aaron