[Gnu-arch-users] Re: cvs interoperation question

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: cvs interoperation question
Date: 30 Apr 2004 12:45:33 +0900

Robert Collins <address@hidden> writes:
> > Just use tla-cvs-sync, then you can synchronize often.
> I've not used tla-cvs-sync (being a cscvs by myself :]) - does it
> preserve changeset boundaries in both directions? one?

It makes no attempt to deduce changeset boundaries from CVS commits,
but of course the other direction is easy -- it just replays arch
changesets one-by-one, and commits each to CVS individually.

For my main purpose (emacs) automatic changeset deduction is pretty much
a non-starter anyway, but I think even in the case where CVS committers
are disciplined enough to make _detection_ of CVS `changesets' possible,
attempting to preserve the boundaries in both directions would make
arch<->CVS synchronization quite a bit more difficult.  The reason is
that both systems require the tree to be `up to date' before committing,
and if you want to replay and commit changesets in _both_ directions,
you end up in a situation where you want to commit from a tree that's
only partially up-to-date.

With `halfway' operation like tla-cvs-sync uses, you can fully update
from CVS first, which gives you a free hand in the other direction (note
that the initial update from CVS is only commited to arch after all the
arch changsets have been committed to CVS).

((lambda (x) (list x x)) (lambda (x) (list x x)))