[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Selected files commit

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Selected files commit
Date: 30 Apr 2004 19:07:10 -0400

> question is: how to keep the list of files to use for commit.  We could
> just keep the list of files in memory, as PCL-CVS does.

For the record: PCL-CVS only slightly does so.
What it does is the following:
- when you hit `c' go to the cvs-commit buffer, remember which *cvs* buffer
  it's comming from (i.e. which project to commit to) and remember the
  list of files that are currently selected.
- when you hit C-c C-c (to do the actual commit), commit whichever files
  happen to be currently selected in the *cvS* buffer.

Now where does the "remembered list" come into play?  Well, in order to
avoid surprises, you can ask PCL-CVS to compare this list to the list used
at commit-time and if they are different, warn the user.

But PCL-CVS does not allow you to commit "the files listed back when
I hit `c'".  I guess it could, but nobody has asked for it yet.

My experience is that writing the log message "as you hack" is not such
a hot idea.  Better wait until the code is clean and you really understand
how/why it works (i.e. wait until commit) at which point you can better
describe what it does.

        Stefan