Re: [Gnu-arch-users] duplicate terms for the same things

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] duplicate terms for the same things
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 17:41:05 +0200

William Dode <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

Salut,

> Like you know, we're currently translating the tutorial in french (see the
> wiki pages). And i see that there is a lot of duplicate terms for sames
> things.
> patch, changeset, patch-set...
> and even for commands : changes, what-changed, changeset, mkpatch...

This  comes  mainly  for  historical  reasons.  The  correct  term  is
"changeset", but other terms have been used in the past.

> There is a lot of commands in tla, why did you add also alias ?

Alias are there mainly to avoid breaking the existing.

When a command  name is considered to be unsuited,  a new command name
is created, and the previous becomes an alias.

The old aliases shouldn't be documented, but it's not always the cases
since documentation is sometimes not up-to-date enough.

Well, at least, that's my understanding,

--
Matthieu