Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE REQUEST: lord] documentation and help enhanc

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE REQUEST: lord] documentation and help enhancements
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 13:04:55 -0700 (PDT)

Wow.   Talk about catching up.   Your new proposed merge request
format passed completely beneath my radar during the move.

For reference, the format is currently documented at:

    http://www.greenrd.org/sw/arch/mergereq/spec.html

I can puzzle out the meaning of the enclosed request easily enough.

I think the general direction of your proposed format is right, but
the details are an open question.

One thing I don't see is a way to specify a merge which consists of a
list of specific, non-contiguous changesets.

I note that there was some discussion during my absense about signing
and so forth.   I haven't tried to read all of that and would like to
put it aside for now.  (Ultimately, I'd like that at a different
layer, I think.)

I'd like to encourage further development of this standard.

Would you like to either propose the design of a tool which
automatically processes these requests -or- explain why such a tool
would be impossible?

Also: the documentation of the spec needs some T.L.C. to flesh it out.

But -- great initiative, first step, important niche, etc.  Thank you
for making a good start on this.

-t