Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE REQUEST: lord] documentation and help enhanc

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE REQUEST: lord] documentation and help enhancements
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 13:44:47 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Aaron Bentley <address@hidden>

    > Tom Lord wrote:

    > > The proposed format has something for "merge everything in
    > > this version", for example.  That could be combined with a suggested
    > > --reference version for star-merge.

    > It seems sort of odd to use star-merge instead of apply-delta in this
    > context.  The person who submits the merge request should have enough
    > data to use that instead.

I don't see merge packets as being end-to-end but rather as broadcast.
No, the sender doesn't know enough to recommend an apply-delta because
while he can recommend a reference version he can't identify a
specific ancestor revision unless he knows the target revision.

    > > I'm not too crazy about the idea of naming the target version or
    > > revision to merge into.  The proposed format talks about base
    > > revisions instead and that seems right to me.

    > I'd suggest considering the target revision advisory.  That's the
    > revision that the merge is guaranteed to succeed for, so if the merger
    > really wants the merge, they can see what it would look like.

Advisory and optional, perhaps.  It would be a serious limitation if
the merge packet had to specify a guaranteed-success target revision.