Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] libraries don't play well with partial mirror

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] libraries don't play well with partial mirrors
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 17:44:27 -0400

Jason McCarty wrote:
In my mirror of address@hidden, I used archive-mirror with limits to
mirror tla--devo--1.3, but not tla--devo--1.2. With a greedy/sparse
library, a get of tla--devo--1.3 causes the following:

* ensuring library has address@hidden/tla--devo--1.3--patch-9
* searching ancestor revision in library in archive address@hidden
corrupt archive
  name: address@hidden
  location: /home/jason/arch/cache/address@hidden
  revision: tla--devo--1.2--patch-115

That's another argument for local caches instead of local mirrors; in my opinion, a partial mirror isn't a mirror. I get this error message fairly frequently, because writethrough commits update the local tree and the remote archive, but not the local mirror.

It would be nice if library-adding understood that a missing ancestor
revision may be due to a partial mirror, rather than a corrupt one, and
to stop searching for ancestors at that point.

Well, if you have a library revision for tla--devo--1.2--patch-114, you can't determine whether that's an ancestor of tla--devo--1.3--patch-2 without consulting the revision data for all intermediate revisions.

It would sure help the backbuilder if stuff like this didn't cause immediate program termination. The backbuilder doesn't need every arch_archive_connect to succeed, but arch_archive_connect will panic if it fails.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology