Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Avoiding ancestor scan during get with revision lib

From: Richard Curnow
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Avoiding ancestor scan during get with revision library
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 11:59:23 +0100

Hi Aaron,

* Aaron Bentley <address@hidden> [2004-05-06]:
> Richard Curnow wrote:
> >Is there any way of telling 'tla get' (or 'tla library-add' for that
> >matter) that I want it to go straight to the cacherev and use that, and
> >forget about trying to hardlink to an ancestor at all?  The checkout
> >would then be done in a second or two instead of many minutes.
>
> Sort of.  You can tell 'get' to use the first cachedrev it finds, by
> passing the --no-greedy-add option.  library-adding uses a different
> codepath that is more desperate to find a library revision.
> --no-greedy-add will also give you a pristine in your project tree
> instead of a revision in your library.

Yeah, I noticed that option to 'get' and guessed that this would be the
consequence of using it.  However, pristines are not good for me; at
some point (probably the cacherev + ~150 patches on top) I will need a
revlib entry because I will want multiple working copies of that
revision (or probably a continuation of it).  So at _some point_ I have
to incur the pain of inserting an first revision into the library - I
may as well get it over with ASAP.

> This will make the get happen in fewer minutes, but 'get' will still
> need to scan the archive until it finds a cacherev.

That's OK, in this case I knew which patchlevel had the cacherev on it.

Thanks for your help
Richard

--
Richard \\\ SH-4/SH-5 Core & Debug Architect
Curnow  \\\         SuperH (UK) Ltd, Bristol