[Gnu-arch-users] Re: archive encryption

From: Johannes Berg
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: archive encryption
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 10:46:29 +0200

On Sat, 08 May 2004 10:03:27 +0900, Jaeyoun Chung wrote:

> The best thing would be encrypt the mirrored archves with gpg so that even if
> any malicious user have access to the archive, still the source code is not
> revealed.

Something like this has been discussed earlier, you can search the mailing
lists archives. One idea was to simply encrypt all the .tar.gz files
(which is easily achieved outside tla with a script that replaces tar!),
but that will leave your logs and structure open to everyone.

Another plan which I pursued for a while but had to give up due to time
constraints for the time being was to encrypt everything (excluding the
meta-info stuff), and even mangle the archive format in a way that also
makes category names etc. unreadable.

Depending on what you want it is either easy to achieve (make a wrapper
script around tar that really is tar+gpg and put it into a special PATH),
or rather hard and unimplemented. But the latter case would only leave you
the option of push-mirroring, as pull-mirroring would need the archive key.

johannes