Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Descriptive tags

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Descriptive tags
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:11:23 -0400

>>From what I can tell with arch, there's no real way of making up names as I
> go along for tags.  I've got the concept of commit branches and tag
> branches, and that's good as far as it goes, but I'd really like to be able
> to say to Arch directly "give me my X.Y.Z release".

As many have already mentioned, this is exactly what configs were
designed for. Just in case that you end up not liking configs, revisit
the tag branches concept. Though you mention that you already have the
concept of "tag branches," that sounds exactly like what you want.

Make a releases branch, and every time you want to release a version, do
the following:

tla archive-setup software--releases--(releaseversion)
tla tag software--dev--0 software--releases--(releaseversion)