Re: [Gnu-arch-users] What's the use of the "keywords: " field ?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] What's the use of the "keywords: " field ?
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 18:40:26 -0400

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 09:11:11PM +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> What's the use  of the "keywords: "  field in tla log file  ? I always
> leave it empty, but maybe I'm wrong ?

Mostly to annoy people and use up a bit of space...
[You can (should) delete it, you know.]

I once actually counted the number of non-empty Keywords: headers in Tom's
archives, and it was like 5 out of 9,283,747 revisions -- of course there
were 8,987,671 _empty_ Keywords: headers...

Given that (1) nobody seems to use it, despite the obvious prompting, (2) you
can trivially _add_ it to a log if you want it, and (3) a huge percentage of
people don't delete the empty header, meaning it ends up in their patch-logs,
it seems mildly absurd that it's still inserted by default...

Actually my preferred solution would be to have commit just _remove_ any
empty headers from the log, which should neatly handle the Keywords:
silliness, but is a mildly annoying thing to implement given the way the
patch-log handling code in commit currently works.

-Miles
--
Any man who is a triangle, has thee right, when in Cartesian Space, to
have angles, which when summed, come to know more, nor no less, than