Re: [Gnu-arch-users] What's the use of the "keywords: " field ?

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] What's the use of the "keywords: " field ?
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 01:08:19 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Given that (1) nobody seems to use it, despite the obvious prompting, (2) you
> can trivially _add_ it to a log if you want it, and (3) a huge percentage of
> people don't delete the empty header, meaning it ends up in their patch-logs,
> it seems mildly absurd that it's still inserted by default...

Well, I can see 2 options there:

* Remove the header by default

* Find an interesting usage of the  keywords and tell users how to use
  it.

And  maybe  the second  option  is  the right  one:  When  I saw  this
advanced features  in tla  to do  a keywords search,  or I  don't know
what". Then, I realized it was mainly useless ...

What I'd like to have is a convention of a set of keywords that people
would use. Say "bugfix",  "indentation", "feature", ... and then, have
a query function like

$ tla revisions --keyword bugfix

to get the list of patches containing this keyword.

--
Matthieu