Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch on mac osX and windows

From: Pat Galea
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch on mac osX and windows
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:26:04 +0100

Greek0 wrote:
Another one is to use an alternative api, which allows long path names
(the unicode functions with \\?\ or something like that prepended to the
path names). Johannes has implemented this in hackerlab and ported diff,
patch, tar in hackerlab. I've never used his port though. The only real
problem I can see is that explorer can't handle so deep paths, so you
can't delete, alter, or even look at these paths in explorer.

Another option is to build and run arch on the Microsoft Services for Unix platform. I've been using this method for months now with no problem at all.

The biggest drawback with SFU is that you can't use it on all Windows systems. According to the MS site, SFU will work on Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1, Windows 2000 Server with Service Pack 3 or later, Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 3 or later.

Of course, this solution also creates deep paths that can't be viewed in explorer.

There's an article about getting arch to work on SFU in the wiki:

http://wiki.gnuarch.org/moin.cgi/W32ServicesForUnixCompile

I recently updated the article to include a quick-and-dirty hack to 'which' (inspired by Ron Parker's post some time ago) so that it returns 'proper' paths, not DOSy ones.

This hack allows tla 1.2 to be built, and (as a Brucey bonus) makes the tests pass too!

Regards
Pat Galea