Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE REQUEST] unify various commands around arch_

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE REQUEST] unify various commands around arch_fqvsn_from_tree_and_input
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 09:14:23 -0400

Colin Walters wrote:
I also removed the
ability for delta to operate on directories, which made things easier. This last bit (which is in patch-8) may be slightly controversial (?)
but it's cleaner without, and it seems like people should just use
'mkpatch'...

Oops, missed this last time.

Please don't remove functionality from delta (and apply-delta, which uses it). Delta and apply-delta are low-level primitives. As I mentioned in a recent email, combined with "logs" and "tree-root", they can replace:
changes
undo
changeset
update
get
get-changeset
replay [--reverse] REVISION

We don't generally use [apply-]delta for these, and that's more-or-less the point: there are far more convenient commands than delta and apply-delta. Let's keep them raw and powerful, so they can be applied when no other tool is suitable.

If you can fix your patch to support directories for delta, great. But delta's a powerful-and-inconvenient command. Even with your changes, it'll still be pretty inconvenient, but a lot less powerful.

Also, it will probably break scripts.

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley