[Gnu-arch-users] pfs-signature is using /tmp

From: James Blackwell
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] pfs-signature is using /tmp
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 01:45:17 -0400

(I'm not filing a bug on this (yet?) because this one merits some
discussion.

On the mailing list tonight we had a visitor that wasn't able to use "tla
get", because his /tmp was too small.

After probing around a bit, I traced it down to pfs-signature.c, which
uses /tmp for a couple things, one of which pertained to this particular
case. The checksum code apparently copies (via pfs) to a newly created directory
in /tmp, where it then performs its signature checks.

Doing so can cause a problem because base-0 could conceivably be quite
large, in some cases, larger than /tmp. Though the quick-apparent solution
would seem to be "Fine, then let's use . for the temp dir", this is probably
not a very friendly answer for NFS users.

Here's some proposed solutions:

* In this particular case, we could check (and honor) the
  TMPDIR environment flag.

Well, offhand, that's the only solution that comes to my mind.

What do you all think?

--
James Blackwell          I'd have a polite signature here asking others
Smile more!              to not carbon me, but what's the point?