Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla-update-ids lacks support for filenames with

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla-update-ids lacks support for filenames with spaces
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 10:08:24 +0200

* Charles Duffy:

> On Sat, 22 May 2004 21:03:21 -0400, Miles Bader wrote:
>> Are you saying that one must use --unescaped or else output will be escaped?
>> [In other words tla uses _different_ conventions for input and output?]
>
> I think it's pretty damn broken myself -- but yes, such is the case.

It's broken in other ways, too:

"tla escape 'ä'" gives "\(U+C3)\(U+A4)" in an UTF-8 locale, and "tla
--unescaped '\(U+C3)\(U+A4)'" results in "ä".  Apparently, there is no
Unicode support at all!

In this cae, it's just madness to use a quoting scheme which is
incompatible with the rest of the system.  Of course, this is quite
consistent with Tom's goals in this area (establish a new file name
escaping mechanism and much more), but I had hoped that arch would not
add more warts. 8-(

--
Current mail filters: many dial-up/DSL/cable modem hosts, and the
following domains: bigpond.com, di-ve.com, hotmail.com, jumpy.it,