Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] feature plan -- downstream branches

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] feature plan -- downstream branches
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 10:48:13 +0200

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 20:23:08 -0400, James Blackwell wrote:
> Chris Hane <address@hidden> writes:
> >> This is what Windows Explorer tells me are not valid characters in a
> >> file name (Windows XP)
> >>
> >> \  /  :  *  ?  "  <  >  |
>
> William Dode:
> > what about # ? it's used in css for ID
>
> Sure, # doesn't seem like a bad one. Its a valid filesystem character in
> *nix, but one has to escape it in order to use it. That makes it
> unpopular for users to use with branch names.
>
> However, using # probably isn't such a hot idea. '#' is a space filled
> character (which is a term I just made up meaning "It doesn't lend
> itself towards seperating words"
>
> Here's how # looks in comparison to some other characters, (some of which
> have their own problems).
>
> tla--devo#fixtmp--1.3
> address@hidden
> tla--devo~fixtmp--1.3
> tla--devo.fixtmp--1.3
> tla--devo^fixtmp--1.3
> tla--devo_fixtmp--1.3
> tla--devo[fixtmp]--1.3  (This one is actually my favorite)

I'd add
  tla--devo+fixtmp--1.3

It has extra nice property of sorting before both letters and numbers,
so it would sort just after the 'upstream' without special handling.

+ and ~ look best to me and shouldn't be problematic. (though + is not
allowed in 'dos' name on windows, which is why some programs didn't like
it).

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>